The Beginnings of Polar Ice
A family business established in 1996, Polar Ice is the leading manufacturer and supplier of Dry Ice in Northern Ireland. Polar Ice began with two employees and a plan to develop the dry ice market. Initially the company made ‘wet ice’ cubes and imported dry ice products from the mainland UK. Since 2002, Polar Ice has concentrated fully on Dry Ice manufacturing. Today we employ a team of 17 people and have grown the market by over 800%. We offer dry ice solutions for both domestic and international customers as well as the option to buy dry ice online.
Manufacturing Expansion and Development
Due to our strategic investment in state of the art manufacturing equipment, our customers can always rely on Polar Ice for their dry ice requirements. CO2 Air, suppliers of dry ice manufacturing equipment in Atlanta, Georgia, have supplied and installed our Pelletizers, Block Presses, Reformer, and Gas Recovery Systems.
An expansion of our manufacturing plant saw the installation of two vertical CO2 storage tanks, with a third tank commissioned in 2019 . These storage vessels offer a combined capacity of 160 tonnes of CO2.
In 2013, Polar Ice invested in ‘Food Grade’ manufacturing and we are certified to BRC v7 and ISO9001:2015. We consistently achieve the highest grade in our BRC Quality audits and as a result we are the approved dry ice supplier to some of the country’s top food producers and meat processors. We operate a clean room manufacturing environment to prevent any physical, chemical, or microbial contaminants in our dry ice. Furthermore, we employ our own quality assurance experts to maintain our exacting standards.
We have received recognition of our achievements in the form of several industry awards:
- Fleet Transport Awards – Own Account Transport Operator of the Year 2020
- Irish Accountancy Awards 2016 and 2017 – Winner 2017 Practice/Industry
- Ulster Bank Business Achievers Award 2015 – Winner of Women Led Business in Leinster
- Offaly LEO Innovation Award 2014 – Finalist
- SFA Awards 2013 – Finalist
- Midlands Ireland Awards 2012 – Finalist
- National Enterprise Award 2010 – Finalist
- Offaly County Enterprise Award 2010 – Winner
- Midlands Ireland ‘Outstanding Business’ Award 2012 – Shortlisted
- Small Firms Association ‘Innovator of the Year’ Award 2013 – Finalist
- Small Firms Association ‘Environmental Sustainability’ Award 2013 – Finalist
Articles about our journey in business have been published in The Sunday Independent, The Irish Times, Irish Farmers Journal and Sunday Business Post, as well as management profiles in professional journals.
Your Committed Dry Ice Supplier
We manufacture several dry ice products including solid blocks, slices and pellets, and our manufacturing is completed on a JIT basis. In addition we offer a self-service dry ice collection depot in Portadown in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland. Polar Ice customers range from domestic users to large enterprises in the Engineering, Food, Electronics, Medical Device and Pharma/Biopharma sectors.
Need dry ice - talk to us
For quick and easy ordering with next-day delivery, buy from our online store.
Polar Ice is a Prompt Payment Signatory
Polar Ice is a signatory of the prompt payment code which is about encouraging and promoting best practice between organisations and their suppliers.
Code signatories pledge to:
Pay suppliers on time
- Within the terms agreed at the outset of the contract, or 30 days, in accordance with legislation
- Without attempting to change payment terms retrospectively
- Without changing practice on length of payment for smaller companies on unreasonable grounds
Give clear guidance to suppliers:
- Providing suppliers with clear and easily accessible guidance on payment procedures
- Ensuring there is a system for dealing with complaints and disputes which is communicated to suppliers
- Advising them promptly if there is any reason why an invoice will not be paid to the agreed terms
Code signatories agree to:
Encourage good practice
- By requesting that lead suppliers encourage adoption of the code throughout their own supply chains
Learn more about the code at www.promptpayment.ie
Unit 3 Portarlington Ind. Est.,
T: +353 (0)578623860
Unit 42 Airways Ind. Est.,
T: +353 (0)18623730
Unit 624 Harbour Point Business Park,
T: +353 (0)214634607
Northern Ireland Office
Unit 47 CIDO Business Complex,
T: +44 (0)2843758045